I spent the early part of the day shellacking the lower case letters from the Winchell font, and I was trying to learn from my mistakes yesterday with the capital letters: don’t sand the face of the letterforms even if they have imperfections because it ruins the serifs, put on a third coat of shellac so the letters resist the ink better, and spend more time in make-ready using the right materials. I followed these new rules, and voila: clean, sharp prints.
I had a little trouble early on with some of the letters not inking correctly (see pictures), but after raising them a small amount, the rollers were coating them evenly. I also used softer packing on the tympan tonight so that the letters would emboss deeper into the page – and also, as I suspected, the deeper embossing meant the paper was able to pick up some of the weaker serifs.
I chose a strange color we have at WNYBAC called “Incriminating Evidence Red” from an old Buffalo ink company. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s not really red at all – it’s fluorescent orange. It’s difficult to tell from the pics, but the color is unimaginably bright and really pops on the grey tone page. I used the same Canal paper that I used for the capital letters, and even spent a little time tonight overlapping caps and lower case letters. Eventually, I’m going to do a three-color overlapped specimen sheet: Capitals, lower case, and numbers and punctuation.
Tonight went far smoother and the results were much better. I plan on revisiting the capital letters now, possibly giving them another couple coats of shellac, and when I print them again, spending more time with make-ready. Check out the gallery for more detailed pics.